I’m on a mission to become a more conscious consumer and I would love for you to join me. Let’s change how we filter our purchasing decisions and begin considering the larger impact those decisions have.
Too often, we don’t consider the consequences of our buying decisions apart from how much it costs us and how it makes us feel. Yet again, another part of our lifestyle that’s all about us. However, we have much more power as consumers than we recognize or take advantage of.
Here is a short list of 5 companies that not only provide on-trend high quality products, but are also making a marked difference in our world.
- Noonday Collection uses fashion to create meaningful opportunities around the world. Each piece is created by an artisan business in the developing world. When you shop, you help create a marketplace for artisan businesses and provide dignity to people around the world. This is a powerful way to alleviate poverty.
- The Root Collective is an awesome shoe company. The fabric for their shoes is hand-woven and the shoes themselves are handcrafted in the slum of Guatemala City. This company provides dignified jobs, specially aimed to help alleviate poverty in Guatemala. The Root Collective sells high quality handmade shoes, provides fair wages to artisans, and donates back with each sale.
- Everlane is a clothing company aiming for radical transparency. Their goal is for consumers to know their factories to ensure integrity, and know the true cost to create a quality product.
- Better Life Bags are custom bags designed to make life better. This company invests deeply in the Detroit community, providing jobs for women from all over the world who could not otherwise work.
- Hand in Hand Soap gives soap and clean water to those in need by selling this high quality, everyday product. Their products are also made with natural ingredients, sustainable resources, and harvested ethically.
This list could go on and on with companies aiming to do more than simply sell their products. The goal is not to make you feel guilty. The goal, is that we become informed as consumers. Every purchasing decision we make has an impact far greater than what immediately affects us. My goal is to slowly, one decision at a time, change my buying habits so that I support a better world rather inadvertently supporting tremendous unethical behavior. Each purchase we make has a ripple effect. Many of our everyday purchases are inadvertently supporting sex trafficking, child labor and other numerous harmful industries. Why not be informed about the companies we’re supporting? Why not buy from those that are making our world better?
These companies, whether they have a foundation of faith or not, are actively sharing Jesus throughout our world. We have the opportunity to join them in providing hope and opportunity to a hurting world.
I’d also love to know what awesome companies you purchase from. Let me know your recommendations!